2 cups Vinegar (plus 1 cup more if you have a fabric softener dispenser)
1/2 cup baking soda
Multi-Purpose Citrus Cleaner (optional)
What you’ll do:
1. Fill your washing machine to the highest level with hot water then stop the machine (or you can be super frugal like me and do 1/2 hot and 1/2 warm).
2. Pour 2 cups of vinegar and 1/2 cup baking soda right into the water.
3. Turn your washing machine back on (remember you turned it off after you filled it up with water). Let it agitate for a few minutes then turn it back off again leaving the water/vinegar/baking soda mix in the washer.
4. While it’s sitting there soaking, get a washcloth and clean the outside with some Multi-Purpose Citrus Cleaner. Make sure you get all around the top and the bleach dispenser (it should pop right off to make it easier to clean). Wipe down the inside of your machine using the washcloth and water from inside the machine. You won’t have to scrub hard, but you will need to wipe the agitator and tub to get all the dirt and grime off. There will probably be a ring above and below the water line so make sure you get it all. You may need to spray your washcloth with some vinegar for added cleaning power.
5. Fill the fabric softener dispenser full of vinegar and leave your machine alone for 30-60 minutes letting it soak. After it sits, turn it back on and let it finish the entire cycle including an extra rinse cycle.